Like chess, poker takes only a short time to learn... but a lifetime to master.
There are several advantages to playing poker online relative to playing live in a card room.
- Multi-tabling: Most online poker rooms permit you to play at more than one table at the same time.
- More players: Players from around the world play online 24/7/365. So no matter what time you want to play, you'll likely find a game.
- More variety: At any time, you'll find the popular poker games like Texas Hold'em, Omaha and 7 Card Stud. But you'll often find other poker games that are rarely spread at your local poker room - games like 5 Card Stud, 5 Card Draw, and Razz.
- More formats: Nearly every online poker room spreads poker games in several formats: heads-up, 10-player cash games, 6-player cash games, 1 table sit-and-go tournaments, multi-table sit-and-go tournaments, and (occasionally) very large tournaments with 1000s of entrants.
- Any stakes: While your local poker room may have two or three tables running at different stakes, online poker rooms will often spread their games with stakes starting as low as dime-quarter all the way up to the really big stakes of $100/$200. Heck, if you can't play with the big dogs, at least you can watch from the rail.